Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Visions of Cu Chulainn


Kristina posted a great essay comparing ancient myth traditions with modern interpretations. She asked for more examples in shows and movies we've watched, but I was so taken with the fantastic drawing of Cu Chulainn she used to illustrate her blog that I became distracted and went off to find out more about her art. (Thank you Kristina!)

There is a fantastic collection of artwork done to illustrate the character Cu Chulainn on the website ConceptArt.org. It seems they hold global contests to draw a particular character each week. The amazing drawing I am using was done by a woman who calls herself Arthemis IX and lives in Holland. I highly recommend going to the site and seeing if any of the drawings correspond to your personal vision of our hero.

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=175013









5 comments:

  1. What fantastic artwork! I will have to go out to the site and see more. Thank you for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do you mean? I thought you found this site first...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually used Google Images and came across the picture on Deviant Art. If you haven't used Google Images before I would highly recommend it! You get oodles of returns for just about any keyword you can think up (like Cu Chulainn :-). You get to it in the upper left corner of the Google page.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went to the Concept art and tried to find the best picture of CC based on how I imagined him. And I came up with this one: http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii293/chowarchive/176-185/181/cuchu7finalforCA.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  5. I looked at the one you liked. Great choice and good illustration about how CC got his name!

    ReplyDelete